Spinach artichoke dip is always a crowd-pleaser when it comes to summer BBQ appetizers. However, despite its seemingly wholesome name, the traditional dish is typically prepared with fattening, calorie dense ingredients.
For a smarter version of the classic dip, try using a Greek-yogurt base. Not only does the Greek-yogurt add protein, but live active cultures to support digestion. This deliciously nutritious appetizer will surely be a hit at your next summer get together!
Ingredients: • 2 cups Non-fat Greek Yogurt (Plain)
• 1 cup low-fat cream cheese
• ½ cup parmesan cheese
• 2 cups of spinach
• 1/2 cup artichoke hearts (drained)
• 1 medium carrot
• 1/4 red onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1. In a large pot, melt cream cheese, Greek Yogurt and parmesan cheese over medium heat until reaching a melted, even consistency.
2. Process spinach, artichoke, carrots, onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped
3. Add veggies to Greek Yogurt mixture, and sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes
4. Serve hot or cold with a side of flax-tortilla chips or freshly cut veggies